wikipedia

Support Wikipedia

Friday, May 22, 2009

Watch and Curl

Watch is a utility I have already discussed in my earlier post. I want to bring your attention to this nifty little utility called curl. It is basically a program to hit a URL and get data from it. There are hundreds of arguments that it can take. I won't be going into all that. I use it just as a tool to get data from a URL and here I combine it with the watch program to repeatedly execute the URL and also see the visible difference(s) in the output response from the URL.

The command used here is
watch -d -n 60 'curl "http://localhost:81/myapp/data/get-sample?userID=abc&password=foo"'

The output produced is shown below....

















Where the highlighted text is what has changed in the output during the last time interval (which is 60 seconds in this case).

No comments:

Post a Comment